Saturday, January 22, 2011

Extrinsic Motivation In Teaching

In my educational psychology class, one of the assignments was to watch this video about operant conditioning using rewards & punishments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59KY7ek8Rk  One could not say that this video reflects an empirical study, but the humor from this sitcom does have the ring of truth to it.  For those of you that read my Jan 19 post about the documentary "Freakonomics" and their study of paying students for good grades, the above video has a contrasting message.  Some of you who replied to my "Freakonomics" post expressed doubt that extrinsic rewards (like cash or "teacher-dollars") are as effective in teaching as instilling intrinsic motivation in one's students.  In fact, paying for grades can even be counter-productive.

As a person who has spent many years in marketing and sales roles with corporations, I know that the key tools of motivation there are dollars in the forms of comissions, bonuses, raises and other monetary rewards.  And they do work to drive the desired performance.  Yet I'm beginning to understand that what works for employed adults doesn't necessarily translate to the classroom setting to support a learning environment for students.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to post a similar video that I watched in another class but it is the same footage from in the video for ED 611. It is really interesting to see that point being made in different context. I never really thought too much about it but after watching the video, I thought about it and how much truth is behind that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks! view website

    ReplyDelete