Thursday, January 13, 2011

Students Learn From Each Other

Here is a story from today's Corvallis Gazette-Times about the efficacy of "peer-tutoring" being tried at Corvallis High School.  The tutoring center is open to all students and offers tutors for all subjects including math, science, reading, writing and foreign languages. Students who take part can be eligible for credit, fulfill community service requirements for National Honor Society and make new friends.  A freshman receipient of the tutoring said “it’s easier to learn from other students sometimes,” they are able to teach you in different ways. Oftentimes, teachers have to go by the rules.”

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/article_3c2076c8-1ee6-11e0-8ddc-001cc4c03286.html

3 comments:

  1. William, there is a longstanding chemistry peer tutoring program in chemistry in California universities. It has spread to otehr programs, but it began, I believe, in Chemistry courses.

    http://www.chem.uci.edu/undergrad/tutors/Program_Descript.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that article! I have to admit that I too feel like it is easier to learn from my peers! Why, I have no idea....maybe because I feel like they are learning the content too they are more understanding and can relate to how I feel?! Not sure but I think peer learning is GREAT! Whatever it takes to get kids to learn I am all for it :)

    ReplyDelete