Monday, January 24, 2011

Summary of What I've Learned Abouth The Benefits of Blogging In Education

As others in this class have commented, I had no idea that beginning a blog was so easy.  Before I started my MAT classes at WOU, I have previously shared written information, Word documents, videos, mp.3 files and urls via email while in the private sector.  When I thought about blogs and websites, I did so as a visitor who might post a comment or a reply in someone else's blog.

My blog could list class assignments accompanied by their due dates.  Students could post by assignment to ask questions about the assignment.  My blog would list key dates in the semester: quizzes, mid-terms, finals, field trips, etc.  These assignments and key dates can help parents to keep their children on track.  A teacher's blog can be a place for students to post work for me that can include videos and urls to other sites that are immediately accessible via a click.  This reminds me of some of the capabilities of Moodle.  Hardcopy assignments don't have the same immediacy.  Students can complete assignments this way, but can also post their opinions about the value of particular assignments.  Sort of a "suggestions box."

Students can see what websites and blogs that I follow that may be helpful to them in the study of social studies or language arts.  Lastly, a successful blog in a school or school district can be a good example to other teachers about the benefits of communicating with students, parents and other teachers in this manner.  Blogs are a tool that enable more effective teaching & learning.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that video! I really liked it.....I also think you have some great ideas when it comes to blogging! You seem to have a great understanding of how to use blogs in an effective way! I may have to take some of those ideas from you! :) Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete